DARE Newsletter on Web?

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Apr 4 16:56:24 UTC 2001

I just opened my Winter, 2001 DARE Newsletter and read with great pleasure
David Carlson's "Notes from the City: An Urban Fieldworker's Experience"
about his experiences as an urban fieldworker, oxymoronic or not, in the
Boston area, where I am located. In particular, I'd like to email the
paragraph including the pronunciation of "Trapelo Road" to some of my
verbivorous friends around here; the paroxytone pronunciation "tra-PEL-oh"
that his informant corrected him on (to "TRAP-(b)elow") is standard in the
region, and whether the informant's etymology is accurate or not, it's
enjoyable.

But the DARE website, http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/dare/dare.html , is a
year behind in posting the Newsletter. Would you be willing to email me the
text of this article? I add, with hesitation: if the year's delay is not on
purpose, can I help in HTMLifying?

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com