Schmaltz, Apizza, Osso Buco, Veal Parmigiana & Marinari

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 5 00:33:25 UTC 2001

SCHMALTZ (continued)

   It seems that everyone has 1935, so I'll post the full MANHATTAN OASES (1932) cite:

Same price and same brew at the rough board tables, glistening with "schmaltz" rubbed in by the elbows of two generations.

DINING IN NEW YORK
by Rian James
John Day Caompnay, New York
1934 (fourth edition; I didn't look at the first edition, but it's probably the same with just the 1934 post-Prohibition drink stuff added--ed.)

   I had never read this book because David Shulman said that he did.

Pg. 57:  ...Pastrami... (Reuben's restaurant--ed.)

Pg. 61:  Apizza--that inch-thick potato pancake, sprinkled with Parmesan Cheese and stewed tomatoes--Papa Moneta himself will bring for your selection a huge tray of imported cheeses....
(Potato pancake?...Moneta's, 32 Mulberry Street--ed.)

Pg. 72:  But the Finocchio, the Veal Cotteletto Parmigiana, the scalopine of Veal a Marsala, and the curly Chicory with Barbetta dressing, are the things that have made the establishment stand out...
(Barbetta's, 321 West 46th Street--ed.)

Pg. 104:  ...Ossi Buchi...
(Merriam Webster has 1935 for "osso buco"...Cesar's, 153 West 48th Street--ed.)

Pg. 193:  Today, as in the years gone by, Conte's serves its rare Antipasto, its famed Gallina Rostedi--chicken, roasted to a beautiful, beaming brown, served with a Marinari sauce that is unforgettable...
(Conte's, 432 Lafayette Street--ed.)

MORE "WAR ON POVERTY"

   I left out the page.  NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 29 August, 1963, pg. 3, col. 1:

_Viet Nam:  The War on Poverty_
WAR IN SOUTH VIET NAM brings quickly to mind the torturous campaigns against the elusive Viet Cong Communist guerillas.  But the war being fought there also is against an older enemy: Poverty and the ignorance that nourishes it.  A new breed of Americans is helping the Vietnamese peasant to fight both battles, which go hand-in-hand.  Marguerite Higgins, Pultizer Prize-winner, takes a long look at how the wars are going in this fourth article in her series.