cheesetoastwich

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Thu Apr 5 17:37:47 UTC 2001

One of my students contributes this--anyone else ever heard it?
Barnesville is midway between Cambridge, OH and Wheeling, WV, south of
I-70. [see attached map]

I am aware of the speech patterns stemming from the region from
which I come. Most people in my town are unaware of the differences that
are evident to others
they may come into contact with outside of said town. We have all heard
of the magical food
known to most as "grilled cheese". It is, of course, a slice or two of
American cheese, or
which ever you prefer placed in between two grilled slices of bread.
This is usually a
companion to Tomato Soup or other watery type soups. Well, in my
hometown of Barnesville, Ohio
we call this food a "cheesetoastwich". To my knowledge, and consequently
to my high school
English teacher, this is the only town that refers to this food in this
manner. You can imagine
my fear when I first entered the dining halls as a freshman realizing
that they did not serve
the "cheesetoastwich".

-- from Ben Mumma
David Bergdahl          http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~bergdahl
tel:  (740) 593-2783
366 Ellis Hall     Ohio University  Athens, Ohio 45701-2979       fax:
(740) 593-2818