Graham article re "smog"

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Sat Apr 7 08:55:31 UTC 2001

My ever-ready colleague Carl Berkhout responded with the following when
apprised of Fred Shapiro's discovery re Bierce's use of "smog":

------------------
Rudy--

I recall assigning or accepting "smog" as the topic of a short
library-research paper for one of my better 405: HEL students a couple of
years ago, and she did in fact quickly come up with, among other things,
Bierce's citation of Edmund Yates in an article written by Andrew Graham
a few years earlier.  It happens that the Graham piece, a lively and
delightful read, is on-line at this address:
http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/as/Literature/Bierce/forked.html  (For
"smog" scroll down to the vicinity of note 19.)

I'm sure I told her that she should then pursue the exact Yates reference
in the Atheneaeum or wherever else it might have appeared in the London
press, but I don't have her paper to hand as I sit here and can't recall
her final version just now.  Meanwhile, "grumous" now pops into my ken as
a good word that I recall only vaguely and, I am sure, have never used.
I see that it is both French and technical/medical, but it surely has
some rich Anglo-Saxon marrow.  Just gotta start using that word--first of
all on this grumous, yowling cat that is now pawing at my keyboard as I
try to send this off.