Where's molly?

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 9 13:37:17 UTC 2001

>I maintain that trademark or no, it's used generically (like scotch
>tape, xerox, coke, jello, and band-aid) for plastic expansion bolts
>used for dry-wall mounting, regardless of manufacturer and thus ought
>to be listed.
>
>larry

Clear illustrations of molly and expansion bolts:

http://www.oldhouseweb.net/stories/Detailed/10117.shtml

Molly bolts are not exclusively made of plastic; metal mollies are common,
at least as I recall the last time I saw some. I agree 'molly' is generic.

This is a term where an illustration is worth a few paragraphs of
explanation.