Cognitors; China Diplo-Dictionary; Sneak & Peak

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 6 05:22:54 UTC 2001

COGNITORS

   From the NEW YORK TIMES, 5 April 2001, pg. C1, col. 2:

_Risking Ridicule, Some Accountants Talk of Becoming "Cognitors"_
By JONATHAN D. GLATER
   Would an accountant, by any other name, sound sweeter?  The question has been raised by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants...
   But the proposal has run into trouble, not (Col. 3--ed.) least because the name first proposed for the credential was the reptilian-sounding "cognitor."

CHINA DIPLO-DICTIONARY

   From the NEW YORK POST, 6 April 2001, pg. 7, cols. 5-6 box:

_DIPLO-DICTIONARY_
INCORRECT.....................CORRECT
Apology                 Regret
Hostages                Our servicemen and women
Crisis                  Situation
Spy plane               Reconnaissance plane
Incident                Accident

SNEAK & PEAK

    NBC's DATELINE on Thursday mentioned a warrant nicknamed "Sneak & Peak."

"HOT DOG" ORIGIN

   My reply was lost in cyberspace, so here goes again.
   I thank Douglas Wilson for his interest and efforts, but I wish he'd spoken to me before posting.  The standard works he mentions are incredibly outdated and incomplete.
   It's hard for me to respond, as I have tons of poems, songs, plays, yearbooks, comic almanacs, magazines, newspapers, and books from the 1810s, 1820s, 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, and so on.
   Unlike geniuses like Ken Burns and Ric Burns, Gerald Cohen and I make no money at all.  Organizations that should have helped us years ago (the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council) have been the opposite of kind.