New New (1964)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 10 05:25:42 UTC 2001

   "New new" and some more items from the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE.

7 January 1964, NYHT, pg. 24, col. 1:
_New New Breed_
_Meets the Mets_

19 December 1963, NYHT, pg. 22, col. 2--...the new musical craze called "Beatlemania"...

15 January 1964, NYHT, pg. 23, col. 1:
_John Crosby Abroad_
  _Super-Girl_
   Let me tell you about the girls of London.  There have been girls before--girls are not a British invention exactly--but these girls have added a new dimension to girlhood.  (Yeah baby!--ed.)
(...)
   I'm no world authority on girls, but it does seem to me that the modern (Col. 2--ed.) French, American, and even (to a lesser extent) Italian girls are cool chicks.  These English are warm chicks.  (The word for girl here is bird.)  The English girl loves life and she doesn't mind saying so.
   A pet word here is "marvelous."  Life is "marvelous" or it's "fab" which is short fot "fabulous."  Of course, the big word is "super."  Everything is super to the English girl.  The most un-super things are super.  You say, "let's go to the movies."  She says, "Super!"  Well, it isn't that super; it's just a movie.  But she thinks it's super.  Life is super.  Breathing is super.
(OED for slang of "marvelous"?--ed.)

16 January 1964, NYHT, pg. 12, col. 3 (Walter Kerr review of TOO MUCH JOHNSON)--I think it was Charlie Chaplin who once said "If what you're doing is funny, you don't have to be funny doing it."

16 January 1964, NYHT, pg. 17, col. 1 (editorial cartoon caption)--"Don't blame me, I just work here."

6 January 1964, NYHT, pg. 21, col. 1 (editorial cartoon caption)--"(...) I tell you Mildred, the country's going to the dogs."

3 January 1964, NYHT, pg. 10, col. 2:
_Mrs. Stanley Resor_
_"The Greatest_
_Copywriter"_
(...)  Mrs. Resor, the former Helen Lansdowne, was known as "the greatest copywriter of her generation."  She was a coiner of slogans, most famous of which was "the skin you love to touch" for a soap advertisement.  She was credited also with originating the idea of having persons in the new "indorse" products of J. Walter Thompson clients.