Red Carpet;

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 10 06:17:04 UTC 2001

   Christine Ammer's THE AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY OF IDIOMS has:

_Red carpet_  Honorary treatment, lavish hospitality, as in _We'll have to get out the red carpet for the President's visit._  This term comes from the literal practice of rolling out a carpet to welcome a royal or other esteemed guest, and indeed is often put as _roll out the red carpet._  (Early 1900s)