New York City and State

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Apr 10 23:31:20 UTC 2001

This is a secondhand account, and I never had an experience like that
during my six years in greater NYC, but my mother once told me of a time,
on a visit to the city, when she rode one stop too far on the subway.  When
the train went a LONG way before getting to another station, she had a
sneaking suspicion she should have gotten off at the last stop.  The train
emerged from underground and became an elevated before she finally had a
chance to get off (no doubt either in Brooklyn or Queens, I'm not sure
which).  She did get off, and asked the first transit employee she could
find how to get to X Street (I forget exactly where in Manhattan she was
trying to go).  The startled reply: "In NEW YORK?!"

Peter Mc

--On Tuesday, April 10, 2001 6:30 PM +0000 Lynne Murphy