New York City and State

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 11 19:28:38 UTC 2001

From: "Peter A. McGraw"

>The transit employee may have been TECHNICALLY correct, but it would take a
>lot to convince me that anyone saying simply "New York" in NYC could
>possibly mean "New York County."

Does a personal attestation count? I have *indeed* heard those of the older
generation (70s on up), when sitting in Brooklyn, refer to something as
being 'in New York'.

The Borough of Manhattan and the County of New York are almost co-terminus
with the island of Manhattan (Marblehead, as previously mentioned, is on the
mainland of North America, but is part of NY County).