German anglicisms

Charles Wells charles at FREUDE.COM
Fri Apr 13 13:52:00 UTC 2001

This is not exactly what you were looking for. but it is related.  I have heard
many Germans and Scandinavians use the word "funny" as the adjective
corresponding to "fun", which it is not in American English.  Thus they will
say "It was a funny party" meaning "It was a fun party", not that it was
comic.  I might even be able to come up with a citation for this from private
email correspondence.

> Hi all,
> I'm doing research on anglicized German words lacking English counterparts.
> 'Barman' for example (Eng. Bartender).  I've found many examples in
> newspapers, but might anyone know of any previous research into this area, or
> at least have some ideas of where to look?
>
> Thanks,
> Rachel

Charles Wells,
Emeritus Professor of Mathematics, Case Western Reserve University
Affiliate Scholar, Oberlin College
Send all mail to:
105 South Cedar St., Oberlin, Ohio 44074, USA.
email: charles at freude.com.
home phone: 440 774 1926.
professional website: http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/math/wells/home.html
personal website: http://www.oberlin.net/~cwells/index.html