skinded

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 13 23:41:18 UTC 2001

Mark Odegard said:
>Peter A. McGraw:
>>How about "drounded"?
>>
>>>Benjamin Barrett:
>>>Does anyone know the derivation or a rule for skinded (skinned) as
>>>in light-skinded?
>
>For 'drounded', it's analogy:
>
>sounded, rounded, founded, pounded, astounded, etc.
>
>I've never heard 'skinded'. It sounds to me something a child might say,
>along with 'he dided it' (instead of 'did it'). This too could be analogy,
>on winded, minded, etc, but I don't think so.

As Benjamin noted with the original query, this is common in AAVE. Somebody
(Sonja Lanehart?) gave a paper on this at the most recent ADS/LSA meeting.
My folder of handouts and the like is in the lab, so perhaps someone with a
better memory of the distributional and usage details can post more.
--
Alice Faber                                       tel. (203) 865-6163
Haskins Laboratories                              fax  (203) 865-8963
270 Crown St                                   faber at haskins.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06511                               afaber at wesleyan.edu