skinded

Sonja L. Lanehart lanehart at ARCHES.UGA.EDU
Sat Apr 14 03:12:08 UTC 2001

Mary Zeigler's ADS session on AAE addressed this issue. I don't know
if she's on the list, but I'm cc'ing this message to her.   --SL

>Mark Odegard said:
>  >Peter A. McGraw:
>  >>How about "drounded"?
>  >>
>  >>>Benjamin Barrett:
>  >>>Does anyone know the derivation or a rule for skinded (skinned) as
>  >>>in light-skinded?
>  >
>  >For 'drounded', it's analogy:
>  >
>  >sounded, rounded, founded, pounded, astounded, etc.
>  >
>  >I've never heard 'skinded'. It sounds to me something a child might say,
>  >along with 'he dided it' (instead of 'did it'). This too could be analogy,
>  >on winded, minded, etc, but I don't think so.
>
>As Benjamin noted with the original query, this is common in AAVE. Somebody
>(Sonja Lanehart?) gave a paper on this at the most recent ADS/LSA meeting.
>My folder of handouts and the like is in the lab, so perhaps someone with a
>better memory of the distributional and usage details can post more.
>--
>Alice Faber                                       tel. (203) 865-6163
>Haskins Laboratories                              fax  (203) 865-8963
>270 Crown St                                   faber at haskins.yale.edu
>New Haven, CT 06511                               afaber at wesleyan.edu

Sonja L. Lanehart
Department of English                 706-542-2260 (office)
University of Georgia                 706-542-1261 (messages)
300 Park Hall                         706-542-2181 (fax)
Athens, GA 30602-6205                 lanehart at arches.uga.edu