Will you help an 8th grade teacher?

Jan Kammert write at WOLFENET.COM
Sun Apr 15 16:52:28 UTC 2001

I teach 8th grade English and U.S. history, and have been talking to my
students about the correct usage of words.  I wonder if my information is
outdated.  Can you help me?
I think that because the word unique means one of a kind, there is no such
thing as a little unique or very unique.  I also think that the word
ignorant is NOT the same thing as stupid, even though my students use
ignorant to mean unable to learn.  I also think the word whether implies
the or not part, so someone should say, "I don't know whether I'm going to
have lunch," and not, "I don't know whether or not I'm going to have
lunch."
What do you all think about these three?  Am I sticking too closely to
what my own grade school teachers taught me?
Also, is there a good web site any of you are aware of that could help my
students or me learn more about grammar and usage?
Thanks!
Jan

Jan Kammert                             McMurray Middle School
American Studies                        9329 SW Cemetery Road
206-463-9168, ext.270                   Vashon WA  98070
write at wolfenet.com                      USA