reservoir (was Re: Paraplegic)

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon Apr 16 16:39:43 UTC 2001

Jerome Foster <funex79 at SLONET.ORG> writes (responding to Natalie):

How else do you pronounce it  in English besides the "French" way? The man
who drilled my well in Connecticut in the seventies, pronounced it
"reservoy."
<<<<<

     ['rEz. at r.vwar]

     primary stress, r (retroflex/humped, to be picky), epsilon, z, syllable boundary
     r-colored schwa, syllable boundary
     v, w, script a, r (as above)

aka

     REZZ  ur  vwahr

The last syllable rhymes with "tar". Of course this only makes sense for r-ful speakers.

OK, so /vw/ is not an admissible syllable onset in native English words,
but it's how I've grown up saying the word.

I wouldn't call this "the French way", which for me would be

     [REz.ER.vwa:R]

     R = small-cap R, E = epsilon, a = print a; from Warnant

-- Mark, feeling picky... and peckish; that must be the problem