reservoir.

ANNE V. GILBERT avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET
Tue Apr 17 02:18:14 UTC 2001

Peter:

> This discussion amazes me, because I haven't yet heard my pronunciation
> mentioned: "reservor."  At least that's how I learned it as a child.  I
may
> have modified it as an adult after I had learned some French, because
> "reservwar" sounds right, too, and I'm not sure which I actually use
> nowadays.  Certainly not "reservwah," which definitely sounds affected, at
> least from speakers of rhotic dialects.
>
> I think "reservor" is the pronunciation I've heard in the humorous useage
> in which the uneducated American renders "au revoir" as "ah reservor."

Holy moly!  "Reservor" is what I always heard as a child and when I was
growing up.  Then some people I knew who wanted to seem educated(although I
knew they'd come from a poor background), and listened to certain announcers
on NPR  a lot, kept talking about "reservwah", although I knew perfectly
well they didn't know any French.  It sounded weird to me.  But maybe not to
other people in other parts of the country. . . .
Anne G