Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: everybody...their

Sonja L. Lanehart lanehart at ARCHES.UGA.EDU
Tue Apr 17 19:22:26 UTC 2001

I thought Dennis (and possibly others) might like to see this
response from one of my graduate students to Dennis' earlier e-mail.
--Sonja

>Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:06:38 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Martin Rogers <martyr at arches.uga.edu>
>To: "Sonja L. Lanehart" <lanehart at arches.uga.edu>
>Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: everybody...their
>I once experienced tunnel vision, headaches and nausea upon hearing a
>friend answer the telephone and say "this is him," but i can't say i
>actually puked.  i saw a guy choke when he heard someone say "ain't," but
>that was in Macon, and everybody says ain't there, and the guy could have
>choking on his dip.
>
>On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Sonja L. Lanehart wrote:
>  > >Date:         Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:50:32 -0400
>  > >Sender: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  > >From: "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU>
>  > >Subject:      Re: everybody...their
>  > >To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>  > >This is an interesting case of 'informal' grammar mapping into the
>  > >call for gender equality in language. Luckily I had the construction
>  > >'naturally' so I was pre-ready.
>  > >I sure do like it when people people report that they 'cringe' at
>  > >the ordinary speech of others. Keep sending in them visceral cards
>  > >and letters. Could somebody attest to actually puking, for example,
>  > >on hearing a piece of grammar they didn't take a liking to? I'd love
>  > >to hear about it (or fainting, wetting their [uh, I mean his or her]
>  > >pants, etc...).
>  > >
>  > >dInIs

Sonja L. Lanehart
Department of English      706-542-2260 (office)
University of Georgia      706-542-1261 (messages)
300 Park Hall              706-542-2181 (fax)
Athens, GA 30605-6205      lanehart at arches.uga.edu