Paraplegic.

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 17 20:35:06 UTC 2001

In a message dated 4/17/01 4:01:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM writes:

<< * I'm borrowing the ph(th)rasing from a humorous sf short story I must have
 read in the 60s called iirc "Diabologic", author's name forgotten. Our hero
 was being drilled in an alien language on the sentence "Fthon deas fthleman
 fthangafth, Wet nights are gnatless." >>

"Diabologic" by Eric Frank Russell, in the March 1955 issue of Astounding
Science Fiction.

For an Eric Frank Russell bibligraphy, try
http://www.stageleft.com.au/efr/shorts.html

There exists the MITSFS Index, fondly known as the "Misfits Index", published
by the MIT Science Fiction Society, which lists all stories in all the
important US science fiction magazines.  There is also a more detailed index
restricted specifically to Astounding/Analog, whose editors I don't recall.

                       - Jim Landau