reservoir.

Dale Coye Dalecoye at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 18 16:47:20 UTC 2001

In a message dated 04/18/2001 12:39:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> >From: Benjamin Barrett
>
> >(I left avoidupois out of the list because I've never heard it
> >pronounced so that it didn't sound a bit snobbish.)
>
> I don't think I've ever used it, but if I did, I'd have pro'ly given it a
> Frenchified pronunciation. I see it really is averred duh poise. My eyes
> woulda raised had I ever heard it done the correct M-W way.
>
> I did a brief investigation of avoirdupois a while back by going to the
people who might use it most... I called the state capitol of 7 diffrerent
states and asked to speak to the Supervisor of Weights and Measures, or
whatever the title might be.  Of the 7 only one used the old anglicized
pronunciation dating back to Middle Eng. if memory serves.  The other 6 had a
variety of Frenchy pronunciations.