Opp. of "oxymoron"

Drew Danielson drew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Thu Apr 19 20:39:14 UTC 2001

Found at http://members.nbci.com/_______/news/kibology00047.html
(originally posted to alt.religion.kibology by "SWT"
<dumplechan at hotmail.com> on 27 Jun 2000):

"Append to end" isn't an oxymoron. It is (at least for my idiolect's
definition of "append") redundant - or to put it more charitably, call
it
"oxybrilliant" since it's the opposite of oxymoron.  Wow, that's so
'oxy!

Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> A colleague just asked if there is a word for the opposite of "oxymoron,"
> referring to the use of two terms of similar meaning, like perhaps "dead
> loss." The problem with terms like "tautology" or "redundancy" is that
> these are generally used in reference to disapproved usages, and we're
> looking for a term that refers in a favorable way to such constructions
> esp. when used for deliberate rhetorical effect.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Jesse Sheidlower

Andrew Danielson                   Admin for Profs. Fedder, Gabriel
 Carnegie Mellon University                      Krogh, & Rajkumar
  Electrical & Computer                     +1 412 268-2188 Voice
   Engineering Department                    +1 412 268-3890 Fax
    5000 Forbes Ave.              http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~dmunk
     Pittsburgh, PA  15213              drew.danielson at cmu.edu