"mdse.", 1913; query

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 20 03:35:03 UTC 2001

Gregory {Greg} Downing said:
>At 10:20 PM 4/19/2001 EDT, you wrote:
>>I'd read it as "merchandise"...does thatc make sense ?
>>
>>                                        Steve Hicks
>>

>I've certainly seen "mdse." as a commercial and a general abbreviation for
>"merchandise."

Merchandise was my first thought also.  In the context of the original
quote, well you can't get the merchandise if someone hasn't already shown
you the money...
--
Alice Faber                                       tel. (203) 865-6163
Haskins Laboratories                              fax  (203) 865-8963
270 Crown St                                   faber at haskins.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06511                               afaber at wesleyan.edu