Man on!

Herb Stahlke hstahlke at GW.BSU.EDU
Fri Apr 20 15:57:31 UTC 2001

A few years ago, my daughter was playing on the Ball State Women's Soccer team.  This group of young college-age women, gender-sensitive all, regularly used a soccer term as a warning when the player handling the ball was about to be attacked by an opposing player.  The practice is to yell "Man on!" to the ball handler.  No one seemed bothered by this.  My guess is that the cry has to be short, loud, and clear, and that the game situation has precedence of gender-sensitivity.  Any thoughts on this?

Herb