everybody...their

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 20 13:26:14 UTC 2001

At 2:53 PM -0400 4/20/01, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

>>>"No mother should be forced by federal prosecutors to testify against
>>>their child." -- Monica Lewinsky's mother's attorney
>
>And to complete the 3rd-person singular paradigm, I heard on the idiot box
>last night ("Animal Planet") [exact wording not guaranteed]:
>
>"Remember this when you leave your pet to make their own entertainment." --
>narrator [showing 'candid' videos of pets engaged in solitary play]

Nice.  I'm sure you're right (as you diagnose it below)--"its" is
just too...well, im"personal" for Animal Planet, especially when the
discussion has to do with entertainment rather than, say, litter
changing.  But I'm not sure why you assume either the X's own
construction or the more standard Xself reflexive "would not tend to
require gender or number marking" in English.  True enough, the "se"
or "si" reflexive clitic in Romance, or "sich" in German, doesn't
distinguish gender/number, but the English reflexives certainly mark
for both gender and number.  Am I missing something?

larry