POTUS & SCOTUS (1918); Old Indigestible; Oxford American Dictionary

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Sun Apr 22 03:54:52 UTC 2001

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 08:39:38PM -0400, Fred Shapiro wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>
> >    Spike Lee said he reached for a definition from his "trusty Oxford
> > American Dictionary."
> >    I could write a letter to the editor...nah, I'll let Jesse do it.
>
> I don't understand what's noteworthy about this.

Presumably that the Oxford American Dictionary has long been regarded,
even by people within OUP, as a horrifically bad dictionary.

But perhaps Barry has something else in mind.

JTS