New York's Chinatown (1898)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Apr 22 08:00:18 UTC 2001

Very interesting. Of course most of these are just descriptions of the food
in Cantonese (I think).

>    Chow Mean--(Fried Noodles).
>(Merriam-Webster and OED both have 1903 for "chow mein."  The first
>citation is from that great Chinese cookery book, CONV. OF A CHORUS GIRL--ed.)

An oversight by OED: see next.

>    Chop Suey--(A Hash of Pork, with Celery, Onions, Bean Sprouts, etc.).

OED gives this very citation.

>    Yung Dow Foo--(Stuffed Bean Cheese).

Here is "tofu".

>    Loong Ngou--(Dragon's Eyes--a fruit similar to Li Chee).

This is nowadays called "longan", I think.

"Dim sum" = "speck heart" or so. What is the original sense of this (with
romanticism minimized please)?

-- Doug Wilson