Old citation for objective "you and I"

Charles Wells charles at FREUDE.COM
Sun Apr 22 21:51:17 UTC 2001

In "Nothing Like it In The World", by stephen Ambrose (Simon And Schuster,
2000), Collis P. Huntington is quoted as replying to a letter from Mark
Hopkins written on July 21, 1866, this way:  "If it has not been for you
and I, my opinion is that the Central Pacific would have gone to the Devil
before this."

If this is in fact earlier than other known citations of objective "you and
I" I expect Stephen Ambrose could provide the exact date of the letter from
Huntington.

Charles Wells,
Emeritus Professor of Mathematics, Case Western Reserve University
Affiliate Scholar, Oberlin College
Send all mail to:
105 South Cedar St., Oberlin, Ohio 44074, USA.
email: charles at freude.com.
home phone: 440 774 1926.
professional website: http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/math/wells/home.html
personal website: http://www.oberlin.net/~cwells/index.html