Particularism.

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 24 04:52:19 UTC 2001

I had a conversation with my dad. He recognized the term 'particularism', a
word he heard back when I was a baby and he was a born-againer at the
Berkley Baptist Divinity Seminary, and which I somehow remember hearing at
the University of Dubuque Theological Seminary, back when we co-habitated
with the Dominicans (perhaps from the mouth of Donald Bloesch).

As I remember hearing it, 'particularism' is actually the 'nice term' for
'religous bigotry'.

This is the word which, among other things, describes why you object to your
child marrying outside your faith.

I do not have access to OED. Does anyone reading this recognize the term
'particularism' as I have defined it?