Tank Top (take three)

jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Tue Apr 24 11:48:54 UTC 2001

On further reflection, I see that the second cite I posted doesn't
exactly fit the "shirt" sense, either.  Here's another pre-1965
quotation that might (though it refers to part of a bathing suit, not
an item of clothing for normal, dry-land use):

These suits are reminiscent of the ones Grandpa used to wear --
two-piece with tank tops and rather long pants.

This Week Magazine (New York Herald Tribune, Sec. 10)
July 20, 1958
page 27

Apart from this quotation, our earliest evidence for the shirt sense
of "tank top" begins in 1966.  Of course, all this material will be
reviewed carefully for C11!

Joanne Despres
Merriam-Webster