ADS-L/NTY synergy

Wed Apr 25 16:20:42 UTC 2001

Sorry, in the English I was taught, dieresis the name
of this diacritical mark, and it is used to separate
adjacent vowels into separate syllables.  I remember
learning the distinction between umlaut and dieresis
in high school back in the 60's, when a friend who had
learned to call this diacritical mark an umlaut in
German class was corrected for calling it an umlaut in
English class.

Maybe some confusion is from not distinguishing the
pronunciation shift, which we do in English, and the
umlaut as a diacritical mark, which we do not use in
English to mark the pronunciation shift.

> Yeah. In English, an 'umlaut' is the double dot over
> a letter, any letter.

=====
SLC, UT                        |it is that we will be sued