etymology of "foo"

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Apr 27 19:45:01 UTC 2001

        To the extent that I'm able to evaluate the information, it appears
to be accurate.  I suspect that the April 1 date is effectively a comment on
the subject matter; no other RFCs (Requests for Comments, the standards that
define the Internet) deal with etymology.  The humor derives from the use of
serious analysis applied to a subject that normally would be considered
inappropriate, as in the classic law review article, "The Common Law Origins
of the Infield Fly Rule."

John Baker