umlaut

Fri Apr 27 23:31:58 UTC 2001

We at a bunch of cross purposes here. Would this German schoolboy
(sic, ain't they no girls there? last time I looked, they was) say
"trema"? What do folk (not linguists, not lexicographers, not
philologists) call two squiggles above a letter seems to be the
question here, not the "crystal clear" facts of what's going on
linguistically (which I think we all know).

dInIs (trying to distinguish what we are talking about)