English as a lingua franca

Sat Apr 28 20:53:16 UTC 2001

English is not just a lingua franca in India; along with Hindi, it's the
official language of the country and has been since independence (well
established, of course, since colonial times).  It's been studied
extensively as a "nativized" variety of English (see work by Braj Kachru,
among others), as have other such long-established varieties.  But I
wouldn't call the English of new immigrants to the U.S. a lingua franca;
it's simply their emerging second language, and it will be the first
language of their children and grandchildren--just as it has been for my
family and, most likely, yours.

Incidentally, I always hostel when I go to Europe (yes, hosteling is for
adults and even seniors now, and it saves a bundle), and the English I
inevitably hear all around me is learned English with either a British or
an American accent, with some slippage in morphology and word order but
with a fairly broad lexicon.  I really doubt that a highly divergent
"European English" is going to emerge any time soon.