ADS-L/NTY synergy, or umlaut

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon Apr 30 16:11:44 UTC 2001

dInIs sez:

I like the idea that we must find lay (i.e., folk) terms as well as
us fancy linguists' terms, but I ain't all in accord with the claim
that a spoonerism is a metathesis (in fancy linguists' terms).
<<<

I didn't mean to equate them, but I do think that spoonerisms are a proper
subset of metatheseses, and so when I'm talking to a layperson I will call
a spoonerism "a spoonerism" rather than "a metathesis of syllable onsets in
different words". May I sew you to another sheet?

-- Mark