Dot

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Aug 1 15:22:54 UTC 2001

        Hmm, I was under the impression that Jesse asked for the use of
"dot" in computing, not just in filenames.  I guess that narrows the time
period down to the introduction of higher-level languages in the 1950s and
1960s (I don't know if the first higher-level languages used dots in
filenames or not), but no later than the introduction of Unix in 1969.

        Interestingly, the Unix Programmer's Manual, first edition (Nov. 3,
1971) uses "period" rather than "dot."  See the section on Commands, part 2,
available from

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/1stEdman.html

        A May 1975 edition of the C Reference Manual has made the transition
to "dot."  It's accessible from

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/index.html

John Baker