Arthur Kober's Bella; Australian Talk; Casey at Bat

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 14 02:24:50 UTC 2001

ARTHUR KOBER'S BELLA OF THE BRONX

   A note in the 1941 NYHT refers to Arthur Kober's new book, MY DEAR BELLA.  Bella Gross, of the Bronx, has a "fency-schmency" dialect.
   An OED check for "Kober" has 40 hits, mostly from just one book, PARM ME (1945).  Jesse, did anyone read the other books??  The NYPL has:

THUNDER OVER THE BRONX (1935) (Just one OED hit?)
HAVING A WONDERFUL TIME (1937)
PARDON ME FOR POINTING (1939) (Same as PARM ME?)
MY DEAR BELLA (1941) (Just one OED hit?)
THAT MAN IS HERE AGAIN; ADVENTURES OF A HOLLYWOOD AGENT (1946) (Includes "Don't call us"??)
BELLA, BELLA KISSED A FELLA (1951)

HOW THEY SAY IT IN AUSTRALIA

   The title of an article in THIS WEEK magazine, NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 29 June 1941, pg. 9.  Let me know if you want one of these or the whole article.
   Includes: Fair dinkum; Dinkie die; Bonzer; Good-oh; Tucker; Billy; Boil the bill; Bowser; Not a skerek left; Dead marine; Cobber; Mingy; Throttle Box; Diggers; G'day; I'll shout you to a drink; Good job; Yakka; Work back; Flat out; Coo-ee!; Larrikin; Ta; No fear (Now "No worries"--ed); My word; Too right; Ta-ta; Whacko.

UNIVERSAL JOINT (continued)

   These "universal joints" are jumpin'.  Now I have two inventors!  No date is given in this article.
   From the NYHT, 7 May 1941, pg. 22, col. 7:

_Victor Emerson_
_Dies; Invented_
_Universal Joint_
(...) The universal joint, which is in the center of the propeller shaft leading from the transmission to the driving axle in the rear fo the car, eases the strain on the shaft when the engine is engaged by providing a certain amount of flexibility.  Without it the clutch system of an automobile would not be feasible, for the strain of the engine would break the shaft each time the power was engaged.
   Mr. Emerson also invented the cantilever spring...

ROLEO

   OED has 1933.  DARE?
   From the NYHT, 7 June 1941, part II, pg. 6, col. 5:

_Michigan Fete to Revive "Roleo" of Log Birlers_
--------------------
_Lumberjacks and Jills Will_
   _Vie in Sport in Which_
   _Bunyan Defeated Satan_
(...)  The roleo is a glorification of the favorite outdoor sport of the American lumberjack, and under the promotion of the National Roleo Association, formed in 1926, has been developed into a spectacular logwhirling competition for both men and women.  Legend credits Paul Bunyan, fabled giant of the woods, with inventing the sport when he birled against the devil and emerged the victor.

CASEY AT THE BAT (continued)

   This is another case for that Vassar sleuth, but he didn't respond to me about the authorship of CRIES OF NEW YORK.  Maybe one of you could send him this item?  Or you could do a classroom project using the same linguistic tehniques?
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 1 June 1941, pg. 32, col. 6:

_George W. D'Vye Dies;_
   _Claimed "Casey at Bat"_
_Disputed Thayer's Authorship_
   _of American Classic_
   NORTHAMPTON, Mass., May 31 (UP)--George Whitefield D'Vys, who insisted that he wrote "Casey at the Bat," died yesterday.  He was eighty-one years old.  He was a native of Somerville, Mass.
   _Thayer Recognized as Author_
   Although Ernest Lawrence Thayer was recognized as the author of the baseball ballad that created a legend and became an American classic, Mr. D'Vys always claimed that he wrote it.  Mr. Thayer published the poem in "The San Francisco Examiner" in 1888.  When the late De Wolf Hopper, the actor, included it in his repertoire, "Casey at the Bat" was assured enduring fame.  Mr. Thayer died Aug. 21, 1940.
   Because his father, Capt. George Cox D'Vys, a sea captain, despised Mr. D'Vys's literary predilections, he said he wrote the poem and sent it annonymously (sic) to "The New York Sporting Times," where the it was published, according to Mr. D'Vys, several years before Mr. Thayer's poem appeared in "The Examiner."
   Mr. D'Vys wrote numerous short stories, mainly tales of the sea, which appeared in the "St. Nicholas," "American Boy" and "Young People" magazines.  He also wrote the songs "The Fiji's Wife," "A Sailor Boy's Log" and "The Chanty Man," and the hymns "Follow His Light" and "Crush the Foes."

(I always did wonder why Thayer wrote nothing else!  I went through THE NEW YORK SPORTING TIMES many years ago in my "baseball fan" search.  I don't recall seeing the poem, but I recall that many issues were missing--ed.)