well, good, wohl, & gut

Wed Aug 15 16:33:56 UTC 2001

Here's a German's response to my query about 'wohl' and 'gut'.  I'm not
sure her first two dict. entries are correct, unless she means (in St.
Eng.) 'done well' and 'to do well.'  But her final comment matches my
long-ago German study, and it corresponds to our conclusion about English
too, I think:  'good' is becoming increasingly adverbial, but not with the
same meanings as 'well' in all cases (the latter seems to be used more to
denote health and prosperity).  A History of German scholar could tell us
if German 'wohl' and 'gut' began as distinct adv. and adj. also, with 'gut'
gradually taking on adv. status and 'wohl' narrowing in semantic range.