ca'y

Sun Aug 19 13:11:39 UTC 2001

Rudy,

Many varieties of Irish English have intervocalic loss but
nonprevocalic preservation (in, for example, all the words you
mention below).
The underlying reporesentations could be very different (and allow
such a generalization). If "carry" is /kaer - riy/, then /r - r/
would be the distinct environment for such loss (certainly different
from /Vr/. On the other hand, even /kae - riy/ could provide a
distinct environment, /V - r/, which would allow /kae - iy/, with
appropriate subsequent vowel adjustment, but prevent /siy - uwdiy/,
for example, for "See Rudy" since it is /siy ## ruwdiy/ not /siy -
ruwdiy/ to begin with. (I haven't worked out the /#/ boundary for
this, and certainly not tried to differentiate among the types of
/#/, e.g., inflectional versus derivational, but I think they might
have no influence.)

I believe this discussion could be extended to /l/ "ball" /bawl/ -->
/baw:/ and, in some varieties, "Philip" /fIl - lIp/ --> /fI - Ip/,
although "interaction with nonprevocalic /l/-weakening (and loss and
other rules, incluiding those of vowel adjustment) could produce
alternatives, e.g., /fIwp/.

I guess I might withdraw my implicational remark for US dialects;
perhaps there are none where intervocalic /r/-loss does not imply
nonprevocalic /r/ loss (or, as you note, vocalization), but Irish
English cerainly makes it untrue for English in general.

dInIs (who always dislikes weak syllable loss since it makes him /dIns/)

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
preston at pilot.msu.edu