ca'y

Sun Aug 19 13:24:09 UTC 2001

Rudy,

We have (appropriately) overlooked "horror," and "terror," but this
quick note is to stave off any claims that there are speakers of US
English who delete the medial /r/ in such words. They don't, of
course. /tEror/ --> /tEr at r/ (where /@/ = schwa) --> /terr/ (where the
second /r/ is "syllabic") --> /tEr:/.

dInIs

PS: I do remember a Macbeth performance where everybody was tickled
with the actor's monosyllabic "horror, horror, horror": I was not.
(And it was "tickled," not the precriptivist horror at
monosyllabification.) I finally figgered it out. I (or course) have
the /aw ~ /o/ distinction before /r/, and his pronunciation - /hawr/
- was not homophonous for me with "whore" (/hor/ in Standard English,
i.e., what I speak), as it was for all the flatlanders.

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
preston at pilot.msu.edu