/zUmzUm/

Sun Aug 26 19:11:43 UTC 2001

In a message dated 8/25/2001 8:17:49 PM, hstahlke at GW.BSU.EDU writes:

<< This brings to mind the distinction between /bUm/ and /boom/.  A bomb goes
/boom/, but a toddler falling on its bum goes /bUm/.

Herb >>

Not in my dialect--it is [bum], not [bUm], in both cases. Did you check a
dictionary on this, just out of curiosity?

By the way, I listened to the commercial in question last night and it
appeared to me that the kid was ALSO saying [zum] (not [zUm]). Not sure there
is a controversy here at all.