Zapiekanki

Wed Aug 29 12:08:29 UTC 2001

Can't be translated!

Za- a particle which may indicate, among other things, perfectivity,
result exaggeration, finality, etc...

piek- from piec- oven hence verb forms like zapiekac "to bake" and
nouns liike pieczywo "baked goods". (Note the related pieklo "hell" =
"a hot place.")

-anki - a "resultative" nominal (with a -k- dimunitive); hence "a
little baked goody." Compare adjectival zapiekany "au gratin" or
jabka zapiekane w ciescie "apple fritters."

Of course, the form may have been lexicalized (perhaps regionally) to
mean a speciifc food item, but its morphology is transparent.

dInIs

KJM! I can't put any Polish letters in the above. Don't write in
telling me about barred l's, lack of marks on c's, etc ...

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
preston at pilot.msu.edu