Zapiekanki

Steve Kl. stevekl at PANIX.COM
Fri Aug 31 15:15:16 UTC 2001

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> ZAPIEKANKI
>    Found at a Polish "hot dog" and "hamburger" seller.  "Zapiekanki" is
>a sandwich, but can't be translated.  OED?

I would guess that the -piekanki part would translate roughly as 'little
roasted/cooked/baked thing' based on the root and the diminuitive. The Za
could mean lots of different prepositional things, and I'm not sure which
is the most appropriate here, but given that pek root, I can see how this
ties into food. I suppose it might also refer to a
little-thing-that-cooks, which would make sense if the sandwich were
toasted. At any rate, there is a connection to food items.

if you make it to the CzRep again, make sure to order some topinky. A
topinka is a little toasted sandwichy thing, and usually garlic is
involved. It's really good.

-- Steve Kl.