Huacamole (1894) and Texas books

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 9 02:51:45 UTC 2001

TEXAN RANCH LIFE
by Mary Jaques
H. Cox, London
1894
Texas A & M University Press, College Station
1989 reprint

   I had no time (about two minutes) to flip through this book.  I did find "huacamole" in a nice context.  OED and M-W have 1920 for "guacamole."

Pg. 176:  school marm...drummers.
Pg. 234:  tamales...peloncillas.
Pg. 236:  ice cream shake.
Pg. 251:  play the bear (hacienda el aso(?)).
Pg. 286:  huacamole.
Pg. 278:  tamalada (picnic).
Pg. 280:  _pilon-cillas_, a kind of sandwich of sliced bread and native syrup made from brown sugar and grated cheese.

THE TRUTH ABOUT TEXAS
by Lewis Nordyke
Thomas Y. Crowell Company, NY
1957

Pg. 9:  Anywhere you go in Texas, or in the nation for that matter, you hear the quickie-type story that is known as the T.O.M.--Texas Oil Millionaire.

Pg. 48:  Out in the cotton country of the Texas plains a gruff farmer might stand in front of the post office and refer to a Mexican as a "greaser" or "pepper-belly"; a country newspaper out there might say "so many white men and so many Mexicans."

Pg. 111:  In East Texas, people (including waitresses in some of the coffee shops) still "porch" eggs and "warsh" on Monday.

Pg. 115:  ..."Juneteenth."

Pg. 130:  The old boy was no more bumfuzzled about Big D (that's what we call it) than many Texans are.

Pg. 198:  For years (El Paso _Herald-Post_ editor Ed--ed.) has referred to the Latins as the "Juan Smiths."

Pg. 210:  Texans say they love (Pg. 211--ed.) the Oklahoma Panhandle because it is a buffer between them and Republican Kansas, which they call the "three sons state"--sunflowers, sunshine, and sons of --.

(No relation to the old tv show MY THREE SONS--ed.)

SONORA SKETCH BOOK
by John W. Hilton
Macmillan Company, NY
1947

   This was an interesting book, but I didn't find anything like "taco" or "Montezuma's revenge." There's a chapter on the tortilla.  Hilton cites other books I have to check out, such as Timothy Gilman Turner's BULLETS, BOTTLES AND GARDENIAS (1935) and Arthur Walbridge North's CAMP AND CAMINO IN LOWER CALIFORNIA (1910).
   Hilton wrote an article on Mexican "jumping beans" for the SATURDAY EVENING POST in 1942, and it's a chapter here.
   Pg. 284 has a recipe for "chillicalil," but I didn't find that spelling on the web.

CAMPFIRES ON DESERT AND LAVA
by William T. Hornaday
Charles Scribner's Sons, NY
1908

Pg. 33: (s.f.a.k.)*
*so far as known.
(I hope the page number is right.  This abbreviation was used on several pages--ed.)

HIGHWAYS AND BYWAYS OF FLORIDA
by Clifton Johnson
Macmillan Company, NY
1918

   I didn't find "hush puppy."

Pg. 87:  ..."Magic City."  (Miami.  See my "Magic City" post if it's there in the old archives--ed.)

Pg. 88:  ..."singing sand."

Pg, 99:  "Grits and grunts" are the favorite foods of many of the Key Westers.

Pg. 252:  ..."groundnut cakes"--that is, peanut candy.

JAPANESE IN AMERICA
by Charles Lanman
Longmans, Green, Reader and Dyer; London
1872

   I found this looking at what other books Charles Lanman (1819-1895) wrote.  I was intrigued by a Japanese book at this early date.
   Pg. 121, in a chapter on Japanese costume, mentions "haki-mono."
   A "kimono" antedate?