diabetes

Wed Dec 12 18:14:12 UTC 2001

Ya'll should remember that some schwa-like sounds are more [I] like
in southern speech. If one does not give some stress to the last
syllable (permitting [i]), it's going to end up as a schwa; if that
schwa is more /I/ like, some of y'all northerners might have been
fooled. That is, it may simply be vowel reduction with regional
quality variation.

On the other hand, that variation may have led to "real" /I/
pronunciations (although that would seem to require some degree of
stress). (I just noticed I called the phoneme rather than the phone
"real." Heaven help me!)

Of course, "medical -itis" (the spelling only) may also play a role here.

dInIs (who always notes the more [I]-like pronunciation of his last
syllable, even when unstressed, the farther south he goes)

PS: I'm just jerkin y'all around by putting the apostrophe in
different places in ya'll. Y'all don't need to write in about it no
more.

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages