"Romaine salad" at Tia Juana (1935); OUP

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 13 21:19:20 UTC 2001

"ROMAINE SALAD" AT TIA JUANA

   From SUNSET magazine, September 1935, pg. 23, col. 1:

      _SAN DIEGO SPECIAL GARLIC BREAD_
         (Illustrated on this page)
   I know that there are many types of so-called garlic breads, but this one is better tasting than any of the others, in my estimation.  It is the kind they always serve with romaine salad at a certain cafe in Tia Juana (Caesar's? With Caesar Salad?--ed).  It is delicious with any spaghetti dish or meat casserole and a green salad.
   Take a loaf of French bread, split it length-wise, and cut each half in big pieces, being careful not to cut all the way through the outer crust.  Spread the cut surface with softened butter, and be sure to spread butter between the slices, too.  Peel several cloves of garlic, and place one whole clove of it between each two slices.  Sprinkle the loaf lightly with salt, then very generously with grated Parmesan cheese, and lastly sprinkle it generously with paprika.  Place in a hot oven for 15 minutes (in a covered dish if you don't like it crisp).  After removing from the oven, take out the garlic before serving.--Mrs. L. M. M., San DIego, California.

OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD (2004)

   No drink.  Maybe I can sneak in an "ice cream soda" with the ice cream.  Also, the date is now 2004 instead of 2003.
  The press misreported the major contract signings on Wednesday, so I'll get it straight:

Jason Giambi (NY YANKEES; to play a kid's game)
  --119 million dollars.

Katie Coric (NBC-tv; for breakfast chat)
  --65 million dollars.

Barry Popik (OUP; trace the origins of every food on the face of the earth)
  --free lunch.