Cuban Sandwiches (1937)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 14 01:55:01 UTC 2001

   This continues several postings on "Cuban sandwiches."  Other sources (such as DARE) basically have Tampa, from the 1950s.
   Cuban sandwiches, Cuba Libre, Daiquiri, Mojito...one trip to Cuba and I have to do everything.
   From a Key West story called "South From Miami" by Nina Wilcox Putnam, COLLIER'S, 18 December 1937:

Pg. 18, col. 4:  "Turtle Steak, 50 cents" and "Try our homemade lime pies."  Next was "Conch Chowder" and "Stone-Crab Salad."

Pg. 39, col. 2:  There is a restaurant on Duval Street called Delmonico's which looks about as much like Delmonico's as I look like Shirley Temple. (...)  And oh, my gosh, the chicken (Col. 3--ed.) soup with noodles!  Stone-crab cocktail, fish a la minuta!
   If, however, you are a light snacker, let me recommend Cuban sandwiches.  There is a little hole-in-the-wall across from the Cuban Club which makes them.  These sandwiches are hardly a snack, they are more like a career.  Tell the boy to use Cuban bread and Cuban ham.  Then watch him make them.  You never saw such an artistic performance of sandwich-making.