Fwd: Phrase inquiry: "Spanish news"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 14 01:59:26 UTC 2001

At 9:19 AM -0500 12/14/01, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:
>I can't find anything. Maybe some commentator on Tennessee Williams has
>elucidated this. I found two other instances on the Web which are exactly
>analogous, possibly copied from Williams' usage: they add nothing.

Well, if anyone else wants to speculate, here are the three hits I
found for "piece of Spanish news", all from dramatic (not to say
soap-operatic) dialogue, each supporting Doug's characterization that
they seem to be cloned from T.W.'s use.

http://members.aol.com/blosslover/bluff.html

http://members.tripod.com/ace_picac/trans09.html

http://www.geocities.com/fantomas6/TRUEROMANCE2-Scene3.htm
(This last one is particularly close to "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" in
ambience, if not quality.  But it's still interesting to me that this
collocation could be slipped into even as many as four scenes with no
elucidation provided.)

I tried "Spanish news", but that fetched too many irrelevant hits of
actual Spanish news.

larry