White Mountain Cake, Molasses Cookies (1862)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 16 03:29:07 UTC 2001

   From THE HOUSEHOLD JOURNAL OF POPULAR INFORMATION, AMUSEMENT AND DOMESTIC COOKERY, published at 20 North William Street, New York City.
   From 5 September 1862, pg. 367, col. 3:

      WHITE MOUNTAIN CAKE.
   One cupful of white sugar; two eggs; one-half cupful of milk; one-half cupful of butter; one-half teaspoonful of soda; one do. cream tartar; two cupfuls of flour.

   From 23 August 1862, pg. 334, col. 2:

      MOLASSES COOKIES.
   One cup of lard; two and a half cups of molasses; two teaspoonfuls soda; two eggs; one teaspoonful alum; one cup of sweet milk.  New Orleans molasses makes nice cakes than any other.

("White Mountain Cake" is all over 19th century books, but I don't have early cites.  Mariani never mentions it; DARE is not on the letter "W."  It's in MRS. PORTER'S SOUTHERN COOKERY BOOK (1871).  Both of these items are in Marion Harland's COMMON SENSE IN THE HOUSEHOLD (1872), available on the Making of America-Books database. I've been lobbying for "molasses cookies" for OED's "M" revision--ed.)