Junkanoo

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 27 01:09:45 UTC 2001

   Greetings from Havana, Cuba.  I´m staying at the Golden Tulip Hotel in Parque Central.  It´s the best hotel in twon and quite pricey, but the internet was out half of today.  I have about one minute for this.

JUNKANOO--Is this in OED?  See www.junkanoomagazine.com.  A popular festival in the Bahamas.  Perhaps related to ¨John Canoe¨ or to ¨Doukonou,¨ from Togo.

BAH´MERICAN--Title of a column in the magazine.

YALE GOSSIP COLUMNIST--A person in my group wore a YALE shirt today.  I asked him what he did, and he said he was a gossip columnist.  His name is Michael Lewittes, and he works for US magazine.  I told him about the Walter Winchell problem, and that I´m looking for the lost NEW YORK GRAPHIC issues from the 1920s.  Maybe he´ll help?

HEMINGWAY DRANK HERE--Seems to be a Cuban version of the George Washington-sleeping-here phrase.