[Fwd: Re: Fw: Emoticons/smileys in Word]

D. Ezra Johnson ezra_50 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 4 21:18:32 UTC 2001

>>here you can delete :) = <smiley face>, or any other
>>auto-formatting or auto-text features (like the automatic >>replacement of
>>"To whom it may concern:" with "Dear Sir or >>Madam:").
>
>Does it *really* do this last?

No, but it does activate the highly annoying animated "Letter Wizard".

To my mind, more troubling than the replacement of :) by a true smiley is
the replacement of lowercase i by capital I, even when enclosed in brackets
as a phonetic symbol. This one can't be fixed by a backspace, since it
doesn't appear until a forward space. You have to fool it by typing [ii] or
something, and then going back and removing one of the characters.