Doc in a box

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 7 18:54:39 UTC 2001

Herb Stahlke wrote:
>I've been using the phrase "doc in a box" to refer to the
>ubiquitous "Urgent Care Centers" since the early 1980s, when the
>first began appearing in Central Indiana.  Just now I used the
>phrase while talking with my department chair, who is probably
>15-20 years younger than I, and he hadn't heard it before.  How
>widely is it used?

I don't recall the term from North Florida in the early-mid 80s,
where they are equally ubiquitous, but I had no trouble understanding
the term when I first encountered it; unfortunately I don't recall
where or when I first encountered the term, though.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963